News just in from Brothers Brick about the latest modular to be released next year. It will be a buy as I want to keep up with adding the entire series. Jury is out on the car however – I wish they would have just keep to a more modern theme……
LEGO has revealed the latest entry in their popular Modular Building series, 10260 Downtown Diner. The three-story building features a 1950s-style diner along with a gym and recording studio, and also includes six minifigures and a car. The set will have 2,480 pieces and will retail for $169.99 USD when it goes on sale January 1, 2018.
See more of this set below.
As fans of the modular line have come to expect, clever designs abound, with lots of great architectural details and unusual parts used in ingenious ways, including a fully tiled exterior, curved window, and lots of curved tiles.
At first glance, the set is a departure from the classic styles of architecture in previous modular buildings, opting instead for a more Streamline Moderne styling. As usual, it is packed with detail and several new parts, including new flower stalks, along with the flower heads and leaves we’ve seen in other 2018 sets.
In another departure from previous Modular Buildings, 10260 Downtown Diner includes six minifigures that feature stylized printed faces, a few even coming with two expressions. Previous Modular Buildings have exclusively used the classic LEGO smile face. The figures here include a chef, waitress, boxer, rock star, manager and a bodybuilder (with boxing glove hands).
In addition to the traditional brick-built lettering, LEGO is bringing back the color teal in grand fashion. Teal (also known as Dark Turquoise or Bright Bluish Green according to LEGO) has not been in production since 2005, though we can’t confirm yet if this is precisely the same shade as the old Teal.
The 10260 Downtown Diner will be the third-largest modular building after 10255 Assembly Square (read our review here) and 10251 Brick Bank. Those three modular buildings will join a total of five modular buildings currently on sale with 10243 Parisian Restaurant and 10246 Detective’s Office. As indicated by sales and a “Retiring Soon” label at the LEGO Shop at Home store, 10232 Palace Cinema will soon be removed from production.
Downtown Diner is also the first modular building to come with a car since the Palace Cinema, a pink 1950s Cadillac Eldorado-style convertible.
Unlike many other large exclusive sets, there does not appear to be VIP early access for this set before it goes on sale to the general public on January 1, 2018, according to the information LEGO has provided us.
Check out all the images and read the full press release below.
10260 Downtown Diner
Ages 16+. 2,480 pieces.
US $169.99 – CA $219.99 – DE 149.99€ – UK £129.99 – DK 1399.00 DKK
*Euro pricing varies by country. Please visit shop.LEGO.com for regional pricing.
Discover a place where music is on the menu!
Drop in at the LEGO® Creator Expert 10260 Downtown Diner, where you’ll discover a healthy portion of fun and surprises. This impressive model features removable building sections for easy access to the detailed interior, which comprises a ground-level 1950s-style diner with a large curved front window, red bar stools, jukebox, counter and an open-plan kitchen. The mid level has a gym with boxing ring, punching bag and weight training room, while on the upper-level you’ll find a recording studio, complete with vocal booth, mixing desk and a refreshments cabinet. The facade of the building features pink-and-teal Streamline Moderne styling with a large ‘DINER’ sign. Other external features include arched windows, balconies and a staircase, plus a pink convertible car and a detailed sidewalk, complete with mailbox, parking meter, flowerpots and a streetlamp. This incredible collectible toy has been designed to provide a challenging and rewarding building experience with a touch of nostalgia and charm. Includes 6 minifigures.
- Includes 6 minifigures: a chef, waitress, boxer, rock star, manager and a bodybuilder.
- The 3-level Downtown Diner comes with an array of brick-built details, including a detailed facade with pink-and-teal Streamline Moderne styling and a large ‘DINER’ sign, external staircase, arched windows, drainpipe, balconies, decorative roofline, opening skylight and a rooftop terrace, plus a detailed sidewalk with a mailbox, parking meter, flowerpots and an ornate streetlamp. This set also includes a pink 1950s-style convertible.
- Ground level features 1950s downtown American diner styling with a large curved front window, red barstools, benches, jukebox, candy machine, counter, 2 soda dispensers, and a kitchen with a coffee machine, stove and a cooker hood.
- Mid-level features a gym with a boxing ring, punching bag, weight training room, water dispenser and a wall clock.
- Upper level features a recording studio complete with vocal booth, soundproofed walls, mixing desk and a refreshments cabinet.
- Take a ride in the stylish convertible and head for a diner where fast food and music are on the menu.
- Help the chef prepare the fastest food in town while the roller-skating waitress lines up the orders.
- Drop in at the gym for a couple of rounds in the boxing ring or a good workout on the punching bag.
- Open the skylight and eavesdrop on the making of a hit album.
- Accessory elements include roller skates, guitar, golden record award and a buildable barbell.
- Remove the building sections to access the detailed interior.
- New decorated elements include a decorated door, album cover, lots of teal-colored and pink-colored elements, and a dual-face minifigure with singing and smiling expressions.
- Special elements include new flower stalks and flower heads, plus 1×3 ‘jumper’ plates, 2×2 plate with 2 studs and a minifigure torso with boxing gloves.
- Collect and build an entire town with the LEGO® Creator Expert Modular Building series 10243 Parisian Restaurant, 10246 Detective’s Office, 10251 Brick Bank and 10255 Assembly Square.
- Measures over 13” (34cm) high, 9” (25cm) wide and 9” (25cm) deep.